Understanding Medical Problems

Alcohol And Drug Intervention Training

Unfortunately, drug and alcohol abuse is an ever-growing pervasive part of society.  Fortunately, there are avenues of hope and help for those who become entangled. Many people who become free of drugs or alcohol also go on to lead very successful lives helping others become free from their chemical dependencies. Whether this describes you or you just feel passionate about helping others break free from the devastating grip of substance abuse, there is training out there to help you with your goals. Here is a brief overview of drug and alcohol intervention training options.

Associate Of Applied Science- Alcohol And Other Drug Abuse

This is generally a two-year program where students take classes such as an overview of substance abuse, understanding addiction, psychopharmacology, counseling skills and practicums, family systems and how they interrelate with addiction, the assessment and diagnosis of substance abuse, clinical ethics, clients' rights, HIPPA laws (Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act of 1996), which provides privacy of health care and medical information, medical record keeping, group facilitation, psychology, abnormal psychology, developmental psychology, sociology, gender studies, cross-cultural studies, an overview of mental disorders, and alcohol and drug internships. In addition, most schools require core curriculum course like human biology, human development, and written, oral, and interpersonal communication.

Once the degree and internships are completed, the graduate can then seek employment as a substance abuse counselor, alcohol and other drug counselor, or a treatment specialist. This work may be found in clinical settings, educational institutions, hospitals, community residential programs, homeless shelters, correctional facilities, and employee assistance programs.

Certificate Of Alcohol And Other Drug Abuse Specialty Education

This option is usually a maximum of about 24 credits. It is meant for those who already hold a professional degree in social work or psychology and currently work as a family therapist, a social worker, a professional counselor, or a marriage therapist. The certificate will provide them with more in-depth education and training to handle clients who present with substance abuse issues. There is also usually an option for independent study, allowing you to an explore and area of special interest, such as concomitant mental illness issues or adolescent addiction.

Additional Programs

Those who currently hold a Bachelor, Master, or Doctorate degree have other certificate options that are typically regulated by the state in which you live. In addition to independent study, there are practicums to implement what you have learned via education.